Thursday, August 2, 2007

The God Factor

I haven't blogged much this summer because honestly the networks haven't given me much to blog about, until I watched my DVRed episode of Big Brother 8 last night.

I have been gradually becoming enraged by the "God Factor" of game play in the Big Brother house. I should start off by saying I am a Christian, and one who believes that God plays a significant role in how my life plays out, ok yes, the biggest role (even though I fight it every once in a while). However, I do not expect that if I ever were to go on a television show that my faith in God, praying to God, etc.. would ever factor into the end result of the show. Would I let people know I was a Christian? Probably since it is a large part of who I am and who I identify myself as. Would I be willing to discuss my beliefs with others who wanted to have a discussion? Absolutely, especially if they approached me. Would I believe that my name being pulled from a bag in a veto competition was part of God's plan? Absolutely not, I mean is God really that bored that he has time to influence a veto compeition? Do I really think that God wants me to be on a game show that is completely motivated by greed? Yeah, I don't think so.

This season, beyond all others, the players (Amber, Jameka, and Kail specifically) have been playing the God card. Jameka took it to a whole new level in the last episode though insisting that her name being pulled to participate in the veto competition was based on what I am calling the "God Factor". Is a reality show a forum to share your faith? To me it is as good as any. I think Kaysar showed us on Big Brother 6 that a deep commitment to a faith portrayed well on camera can inform a nation viewing audience. However, there was a line that was crossed between Kaysar's "faithplay" and Jameka's, and that is the "God Factor". Kaysar made some moves in the house based on faith, whether religious or based on faith in human spirit, that led to his demise in the game, but also led to his being one of the most loved characters on Big Brother of all time. He never claimed though that God wanted things to go a certain way or had a hand in the way the game played out.

Let me pose this question to those who aren't sold- why would God want one Christian player to win over another? I am choosing "Christian" players only because there are three in the game right now all saying that God is influencing the results, giving them strength to get through situations, or somehow having a hand in how the game is played.

So Big Brother 8 fans, what do you think of the "God Factor" being used this season? When it comes to the final two, if one contestant was playing by God's strategy and the other of their own strategy, who should win?

No comments: