Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Please, No More Reality TV

This week is a hard one for serious tv watchers because we also need to focus on the news headlines. Thursday morning could bring about a Writer's Guild of America strike which would almost definitely lead to reruns and more reality tv shows. This would be the first strike in 20 years and would hit not just the viewership hard, but also the economy of California and the United States. Yup, that's right what you watch and how much you watch it means more money for America.

A writers' strike shuts down production quickly. Though networks have been hording new shows expecting this strike to happen, and we will see some returns of shows from last season that have been saved up for "good" filler, we will also see A LOT of reruns and some really really bad reality tv concepts, like Farmer Wants a Wife which the CW began development on last May. Aren't there already enough bad dating shows on the television. Does anyone really want to see a bunch of city girls so desperate to find a mate they sign up for a CW reality show where they are put on a farm doing chores in heels? I can already picture the first few episodes and I don't really want to see anyone covered in manure when I turn on my television for a night of relaxation. And seriously, how old is the try to milk a cow for the first time joke?

So this is it, this is your last chance to contact the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) and let them know a strike will lead to a tv shut-off. Leave a comment on their website http://amptp.org/contactus.html or call them at 818.995.3600. Let them know that the writers are the reason your turn on your set and they deserve a fair compensation package.

Here is a copy of my message to the AMPTP:
"Message re: Give the writers what they deserve

I am a huge television watcher. So much so that I started my own blog http://katiestv.blogspot.com. I watch approximately 24 hours of scheduled, scripted, television every week. Please work with the WGA to find a good compromise. You are letting down your viewers by not giving the writers a fair compensation package. If reruns and reality television are what come on due to a strike you could prevent, I am turning off my tv and I am urging my readers to do the same."

1 comment:

Kim said...

Even after a long, hectic day, I still wanted to check out your site. I echo your call - NO MORE REALITY TV (Unless of course it is "Top Chef".) We need to bring back (or keep going) some of the really great shows that require a brain. Ah...yes, the forgotten. Keep writing....I'll keep checking.