Wednesday, July 2, 2008

If You Can't Move Be Moved

So You Think You Can Dance is narrowing down which means two dances per couple each week. At the beginning of the show there were three dances in a row that made me wonder why I enjoy this show so much, two more performances made me take notice and then a Mia Michaels' routine that had me in tears it was so good. While I enjoyed the second half much more, I didn't think the show could get any better and then along came another Mia Michaels' routine.

Last week's group routine left me wondering if she had been channeling Tyse DiOrio since she seemed to have choreographed many of his signature African jazz styled moves. Her fingerprints (or made footprints is more appropriate) were all over tonight's show. Looking back at the 4 seasons of SYTYCD her routines are consistently the memorable and breathtaking.

So here is my shout out to Simon Fuller and Nigel Lythgoe - THANK YOU for bringing Mia's choreography to all us couch potatoes who wish they could shake it. The art she creates stretches far beyond the Emmy she won. To Mia thank you for not compromising your art despite the fact that some of the dancers can't dance your choreography and as Nigel says many who watch don't get it, because there are those of us who get it, appreciate it, and watch just to see what you will create for us next time.

No comments: