Tuesday, May 15, 2007

May Bittersweeps

I am redubbing "May Sweeps" "May Bittersweeps". I know I should enjoy May Sweeps since some of the absolute best writing on television comes during these two (give or take) weeks, but it is all bittersweet for me. Watching a series finale of a beloved show is like parting with an old friend knowing you will never talk again. I will never know if Rory Gilmore found someone she would be willing to factor into her future plans. I will never know if Lorelai and Luke ended up with a family of their own. The saga didn't continue... it came to a dead end tonight.

The sweet side, along with the finales which remind you exactly why you kept watching through some of the slow or inconsistent story lines, is as all of these shows are coming to an end either for the season or (sniffle) for good, the networks release The Fall Line-Up. Hope...

So, as I wipe away my tears (I've never been good at goodbyes) the next few days weeks, I will be bringing you some of my own insights into what I think will make it based solely on the pitch of the show for next year's premieres. I will also need some shows to fill up my time this summer during REPEAT HELL. I am compiling a list for you to vote on what I should watch that I didn't take the time to or didn't give a chance when it was first on tv.

P.S. While I stocked up on tissues prior to the Bittersweeps, if you live in the near vicinity I may need more supplies.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who cried. :) I think they left themselves wide open for anything, including spin-offs, reunion shows, a movie... wait, that was the Brady Bunch, wasn't it?

It was exactly the opposite of the Will and Grace finale, in which they sewed up every loose end AND jumped into the future to be certain there was no reason to have a reunion, spin off, etc. Neither approach is very satisfying, in my opinion.