Thursday, May 10, 2007

Uninspired

These days there is so little that is new and unpredictable. Writers aren't expected to be completely originally, they are expected to be formulaic. If I find a show that is surprising, teaches me something new, that I can't predict- that is what gets me watching. That is why How I Met Your Mother, House, and West Wing all entered my viewing habits. I want some inspiration. I don't want to watch 3 different versions of CSI. I tried really hard with Miami and NY, but they couldn't compare to the original cast and didn't bring much new to the table. That is also why I don't watch a single version of Law and Order.

Ok, I admit there is complete formula to the list presented above, especially House, but at least I can't predict what rare illness the person is going to end up having... and the show isn't really about the case anyway (unless the case doesn't get solved)- and yes, it does teach me things. I will not wear a brand new pair of jeans without washing them after that episode this season.

So, what is the most inspired writing on a show that you have seen? I'm looking for the unpredictable, the truly funny (stupid funny or witty funny which ever way you lean), the writers that memorize through amazingly intricate ramblings called monologues (thanks Sorkin). I want to hear the shows that move you and why.

No comments: