Sunday, May 6, 2007

The Truth About Grey's and Grey's 2.0

I was anticipating the 2-hour mega- Grey's/ Grey's 2.0 all week, cleared my whole Thursday evening for it. Rushed through Ugly Betty as quickly as possible, and even watched some of the commercials during the show so I could savor the whole experience. The Truth.... I was let down, disappointed, ready for some substance and there was none to be had. I should have rewatched Ugly Betty which really stole the show on Thursday.

Combining Grey's during sweeps and premiering a "possible" (yeah right like Shonda Rhime's isn't going to get a green light on anything she asks for right now) spin-off both took away from the building story lines of Grey's and the excitement around a premiere of a new show with beloved characters and a fantastic (and HOT) cast.

Grey's 2.0 (my own name since one hasn't been determined yet and the one being put out there, Private Practice, well it is a bit creepy) jumped in with both feet into a concrete pool. Seriously, substance, where was it? I didn't feel bad for Addison except for the two seconds they devoted to her not being able to reproduce. There were all sort of inconsistencies like how did she all the sudden have two eggs left when she was supposedly barren, is that supposed to leave an opening for her to finally get pregnant and show how wonderful her BFF really is? But, I was so excited to see some of my favorite actors from over the years return to TV in a show I know I will be glued to even if the premiere sucked on Thursday.


Taye Diggs
- one of the hottest men on TV in America. Ok, so I didn't watch his last two attempts on the small screen Daybreak or Kevin Hill, but on Ally McBeal he was HOT!!! and still is. We need to coin a new Mc name for him, Mc2.0? His is the only character there was any mystery about really. What could possibly be wrong with him to dump Merrin Dungey?

Merrin Dungey
- Loved her in Alias and I think she will be able to create a great character with whatever she is given, but how do they develop this character. What they have given her so far looks flat and like she will hang on to the hope of Taye for a while and while I can understand lusting after Taye Diggs, I don't want to see someone else doing it every week.

Chris Lowell- Coming over from Veronica Mars where he hasn't been given the shot he deserves (until this week). The best reason to tune back in is to see him shirtless again. Ok, so that whole surfboard scene was pretty flashback to the Desperate Housewives car washing scene, but at least since women are the ones who watch these shows we are finally getting some serious eye candy.

Amy Brenneman- I will confess that I became a closet Judging Amy its last season while I caught up on TBS drama in the daytime. Seeing as how I crammed 6 seasons into one, I kind of felt let down to have it end, and am glad to see her get another shot, even if it is as a cliched psychiatrist who can't solve her own problems.

Tim Daly- I was so excited about Tim Daly's return to TV. I desperately tried to watch The Nine. I am so glad he is going to be on a show that will last a full season. I am quite certain I have seen every Wings episode once, twice maybe even three times. That kiss was hot, even though it left me wondering would this be a better show if there was a better actress than Kate Walsh in the lead?

So this leads me to my final rant about this merged failure to make me enjoy either show in the 2 hour-"special". Kate Walsh as Addison on Grey's Anatomy fit a needed spot. She was just enough bitch, but had a softer side we were getting to know. She wasn't the main character or even one of the top 5, but she left us a bit intrigued. Can she carry a new show? I think the cast of actors I just described are going to carry her. That kiss. Seriously, she is a self-sufficient, successful, driven woman. Who swoons that much over a kiss they knew was coming because they were asked? Could it have been that much better than McDreamy or McSteamy, or Karev for that matter? Is the character that desperate to be swept off her feet or is Kate just a mediocre actress being put in a position over her head? I know this is harsh. But that scene ruined the chance of my enjoying any of the two hours. I don't want to think of them as actors, I want to think of them as the characters they are playing. Don't wake me from that dream world by over-acting! I go to TV to escape and become swept into a fictional world.

Ok... that is my version of the Truth about Grey's/Grey's 2.0. What are your thoughts? Did you love it, hate it, are you excited about any of the new actors coming on board? Will you be watching?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought Kate Walsh blew everyone out of the water. She was fantastic & is undoubtably a leading lady if ever there was one.

Certainly more talented than the insipid Ellen Pompeo, & she can do both comedy & drama which I think is where the spin-off is aimed.

Glad to see Kate Walsh's talents recognised & nice to see her more than the 2 mins a week she usually gets on Greys.

Bring the spin-off on !