Saturday, April 28, 2007

Second Chance

In today's "This Day in Television History"- 2000 - The final episode of Cosby aired on CBS. At first I thought I didn't think the Cosby Show ran that long, then I realized it didn't, Cosby was that "Second Chance Show" for Bill Cosby and Phylicia Rashad. It ran for four years, and honestly I can't tell you why. I tried to watch it a few times and didn't enjoy it at all. Seriously why cast a husband and wife from one show as a husband and wife in a new show with a different premise. A bit confusing for those who were great admirers of the original show.

So, what is the difference between a "Second Chance Show" and a "Spin-Off"? A spin-off is a show that takes one or two characters from the original show and starts in with a new plot in a new location. A Different World took Vanessa (correction Denise) from The Cosby Show brought her to college and created a feature to show off the talents of Lisa Bonet. A "Second Chance Show" is where an actor is featured in a successful television show and based on that success gets a shot at a new show with different characters, hence a "Second Chance" at television success. The Seinfeld cast is notorious for taking shots at "Second Chance Shows" that fail miserably- The Seinfeld Curse. Julia Louis-Dreyfus seems to finally have hit a homerun with The New Adventures of Old Christine, about time.

So, here are my questions today. How do you feel about favorite actors who try "Second Chance Shows"? What length of time is needed before they should pursue a "Second Chance Show"? What are your favorite "Second Chance Shows" and/or "Spin-Off"s?

P.S. I added RSS Feeds to my Blog

XML
Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!

Add to My AOL
Add to Technorati Favorites!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Say what you will about Lisa Bonet, she's not all bad (I tell myself) because her birthday is the same day as mine. But I take the cake!

Suzanne said...

I thought A Different World featured Denise. (I used to watch a lot more TV than I do now.)