Thursday, April 19, 2007

Why I Read Spoilers

There are people out there who are going to read my blog an wonder why I read spoilers. If I truly love tv as much as I say I do, why do I spoil it for myself? I have found that I actually enjoy the show a little more when I am on the inside. I wait for things to come up that I have had spoiled for me and I get a little smile knowing I knew it before everyone else watching. A great show is not spoiled by spoilers.

My spoiler of choice is SpoilerFix. You will note that I even have the RSS feed at the top right side of my site. I get no kickbacks from SpoilerFix, I have never even contacted them, but I think they run a great site for people like me who are, well, obsessed. Most of my favorite shows are covered, so that makes it even better.

Take How I Met Your Mother for an example on how reading a spoiler doesn't ruin the show for me. While the main plot points are often covered in the spoiler, there is no way to spoil the enjoyment of watching the pure acting and comedic genius of Neil Patrick Harris as Barney. Since I am not wait for the major plot points I can enjoy his "Awesomeness" to the fullest and truly appreciate what he puts into the character not just the plot. The episode with Robin's secret was one of the most original television episodes I have ever seen and the writing and acting that came from that show could not be spoiled by a few bits of information that prepared the plot for me ahead of time on a site. There was no way to spoil the effect of the music video at the end.

I guess maybe this is just another tell of my addiction. Anyone who spends 20 hours a week watching tv and then spends her time away from the tv looking up more information about the shows she watches obviously has a problem... but that has already been established.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

So I think I go you one better--I ask my friends who are devotees to summarize the shows for me. I do this not only with shows I've seen or used to watch regularly before something disrupted my schedule, but also with shows I've never seen and may never intend to. I like getting the condensed, intense version without waiting. I've done the same thing with movie plots, particularly horror movies that I didn't think I could "handle," for years. What does that make me, more obsessed or less?

Anonymous said...

Haven't seen this show but thought Neil Patrick Harris was amazing playing Lee Harvey Oswald on Broadway in "Assassins." He made the character seem almost sympathetic. (Of course the script also slanted information in favor of the various murderers depicted.)